Safety and Health
Our dancer’s health is a top priority. A large part of our teaching philosophy and curriculum involves teaching the students about their bodies and its health through anatomy, our Complete Dancer Series classes*, Healthy You Lecture Series**, as well as incorporating strengthening, proprioceptive and stretching exercises in class appropriate to each level.
- We are proactive in addressing injuries, and have relationships with qualified PTs, chiropractors and massage therapists, as well as being a member of IADMS, the International Association of Dance Medicine and Science, whose mission statement is … IADMS enhances the health, well-being, training and performance of dancers by cultivating educational, medical and scientific excellence
- We keep abreast of the latest studies and information being published internationally to dance educators
- Students are verbally and physically guided to ensure proper and safe alignment
- Our facility has professionally built sprung floors with a Marley overlay for optimal safety and health for young growing bodies
*Complete Dancer Series Classes include:
- Anatomy for the Dancer
- Improving Flexibility
- Understanding and Strengthening Turnout
- Foot and Core Control
**Healthy You Lecture Series
As part of our educational philosophy, the ATTD faculty partners with parents, students and health care providers to instill healthy and balanced habits in our students.
Dance is an athletic endeavor that requires knowledge and support for a healthy body. These lectures are designed to educate and encourage both parents and students in important areas related to the dance field, a growing dancer’s body, and to answer questions about the school and the training the students are receiving.
Topics have included:
- Nutrition for the Dancer
- Injury Prevention
- Psychology in Dance